Nail polishes often contain petrochemical raw materials that may cause adverse health effects either by nail penetration or inhalation.
In order to avoid the most harmful raw materials, nail polishes «6 Free», «8 Free» or «10 Free» have been recently introduced on the market. What does it mean?
The number before the word FREE indicates the number of harmful ingredients that are excluded from the formula.
It is important to highlight that there is no official list of the raw materials covered by the label “X Free”
Some cosmetic brands claim that their nail polishes are “10 Free” or “12 Free”, but if you look at their ingredients list, you will see that there are ingredients known to be very dangerous or harmful for health, that are rarely found in nail polish formulas. They are not concerned by the “X Free” label but allow to use “12 Free” or “13 Free ” labels. These brands misuse this label without making any real effort to adapt their formulas. We should then be careful!
Even if there is no official list, you can find the following ingredients list of the “X Free” label on the internet:
– TOLUENE*: respiratory and skin irritant;
– FORMALDEHYDE*: reprotoxic, irritant and known as carcinogenic;
– DIETHYL PHTALATE*: possibly an endocrine disruptor (banned in cosmetic products in Europe but still allowed in the USA);
– FORMALDEHYDE RESIN: less toxic than formaldehyde but may contain traces of formaldehyde and cause irritations;
– PARABEN: endocrine disruptor and highly allergenic;
– XYLENE*: eyes, skin and lungs irritant;
– CAMPHOR: endocrine disruptor and highly irritating;
– ROSIN*: irritating and allergenic;
– STYRENE: endocrine disruptor, irritant, carcinogenic;
– BENZOPHENONE (1-benzophenone and 3-benzophenone): has been identified as an endocrine disruptor and is highly allergenic.
ZAO nail polishes do not contain any of these raw materials and are “10 Free”.
Besides, ZAO nail polishes do not contain:
– TRYPHENYL PHOSPHATE: endocrine disruptor
– OCTOCRYLENE: endocrine disruptor
– CYCLOPENTASILOXANE: endocrine disruptor
– METHYL METHACRYLATE: very irritating and allergenic
(*ingredient potentially present as an unavoidable impurity trace)